What is the SPCA Blue Tick?
The SPCA Blue Tick is an Accreditation Scheme run by the Royal New Zealand SPCA.
We certify animal products that are farmed to our high welfare standards.
- The scheme started by certifying eggs in 2001 and then added pork products in 2009. In 2011, meat poultry chicken was added followed by turkey standards in 2012.
- There is plan to add other categories to our portfolio in 2015 due to consumers' demand.
- The SPCA Blue Tick logo offers consumers a guarantee that the product they are choosing has been farmed humanely.
- All SPCA Blue Tick producers are given the recognition they deserve for farming the 'right' way.
- All producers who wish to be a part of our SPCA Blue Tick Accreditation Scheme must adhere to our high welfare standards to ensure that their animals are treated in a cruelty-free manner.
A Certification logo you can trust
We use independent and world-leading auditors AsureQuality to conduct regular and spot audits so consumers (and SPCA Blue Tick producers) can be certain that high animal welfare standards are being maintained.
The SPCA Blue Tick is part of the SPCA, the 3rd most trusted charities according to the 2014 Reader's Digest Survey
SPCA Blue Tick Supports the Five Freedoms:
- Freedom from Hunger and Thirst: Ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain health and vigour.
- Freedom from Discomfort: Provision of a nice environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease: Through prevention, speedy diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to Express Natural Behaviour: By providing space, proper facilities and the company of other animals.
- Freedom from Fear and Distress: Ensuring conditions and treatment avoid mental suffering.
Five Freedoms and beyond
The Five Freedoms are cornerstones of animal welfare and form the basis on RNZSPCA animal welfare policy.
SPCA Blue Tick standards cover an animal's needs, not just the bare minimum.
SPCA Blue Tick certification standards also incorporate current legislation, codes of practice, scientific research, veterinary advice, and practical farm experience.
Additionally, the SPCA Blue Tick standards also account for responsible animal management, skilled stockmanship, environmental design, considerate handling, transport and much more. Click below for more detailed information on standards for particular SPCA Blue Tick certified products.