Wednesday, 14 January, 2015
The prospect of dogs being stolen and used for dog fighting has the Gore community and police demanding answers.
It all started with a staffordshire terrier called Polly, who was taken from SPCA Gore and returned rattled, mauled and fighting for her life.
Her case sparked a massive response on social media with many believing that Polly was taken by dog fighters to be used as bait to train another dog how to kill.
Read more about Polly and the police investigation at tvnz.co.nz.
Thursday, 18 December, 2014
SPCA New Zealand applauds the ban on the sale and use of glueboard traps in New Zealand.
Glueboard traps are boards with a sticky glue layer that are used to capture and hold live rodents. The SPCA considers the level of pain or distress caused to animals trapped on glueboards to be unreasonable and says that adequate alternatives are available.
Monday, 17 November, 2014
A veteran Whangarei SPCA inspector has gone on hunger strike after finding seven starving dogs in a single month – some of which have since died or had to be put down.
Chief Inspector Francine Shields says in 23 years, she has never had to deal with so many neglected pooches.
"In Whangarei, generally we would see maybe one or two a month at this extreme state of starvation, and I'm sure that's the same throughout the country," she said on Firstline this morning. "Why we are seeing an increased number all of a sudden is of a great concern to us."
Read more about Ms Shields' hunger strike at 3news.co.nz.
Tuesday, 4 November, 2014
SPCA New Zealand Chief Executive Officer Ric Odom shared some tricks of the trade to calm animals during the firework season.
Watch the Breakfast interview at tvnz.co.nz.
Monday, 3 November, 2014
SPCA New Zealand welcomes the select committee meeting on Guy Fawkes morning to consider banning the public sale of fireworks.
"The SPCA does not support the private sale and use of fireworks and has long called for a ban on the sale of fireworks to the public," says SPCA New Zealand CEO Ric Odom.
"Fireworks and animals simply don't mix. The loud bangs and bright flashes are very frightening to animals and many become highly stressed by them."
"We urge pet owners to keep their pets inside and safe on Guy Fawkes Night. But equally we ask people without pets to be aware of the stress their use of fireworks is likely to be causing in their neighbourhood."