SPCA Waikato is a charity that helps protect animals who are sick, injured, lost, abused or simply abandoned.
As a charity, we rely almost entirely on the generosity of people from Waikato to carry out our life-saving work, as we receive only a small amount of government funding. The majority of our income comes from public donations, bequests and our own fundraising initiatives.
We are the only charity with the power to prosecute people under the Animal Welfare Act 1999.
To advance the welfare of all animals in New Zealand by:
- Preventing cruelty to animals
- Alleviating suffering of animals
- Promoting our policies through education and advocacy
Our StructureSPCA Waikato is under the control of SPCA New Zealand.
What We Do
- Investigate and deal with complaints of cruelty and neglect.
- Uphold the laws relating to the treatment of animals and take prosecutions where necessary.
- Give sanctuary to animals in distress.
- Rehome suitable animals where possible.
- Ensure that animals which cannot be kept alive for whatever reason are humanely euthaniased.
- Assist with public education.
- Promote responsible pet ownership.
Contact UsOur Call Centre is open every week day between 10.30am and 2.30pm. Out of these hours your call will be transferred to Auckland SPCA where we have an Inspectors who monitor the Waikato region. Our phone number is 07-847-4868.
- For stray dogs/barking problems please call the Waikato District Council for assistance on 0800 492 452.
- If you have an animal emergency, animal care question, or want to get your pet desexed please contact your local veterinarian for advice and/or support.
- For after-hours veterinary advice and/or support, please contact Waikato After-hours Veterinary Hospital on 07 839-5656.
- If you have an animal welfare concern, the Animal Welfare Emergency line is 07-847-4868.
Volunteering and Fostering
If you are interested in becoming a foster parent or volunteering, please fill out the Volunteer Work Application Form and/or the Foster Parent Application Form and send to email@example.com or post/drop it at our Centre.
Our new post-box address is PO Box 10576, Te Rapa, Hamilton, 3241.
We really appreciate you wanting to help us out.
Our SPCA Opshop in Hamilton is located in the Dinsdale Shopping Centre (next to the Countdown)
Tuesday -Friday 9.00am - 4.30pm
Saturday 10.00am - 2 .00pm
Our SPCA Opshop in Matamata is 46 Broadway, Matamata.
Monday-Friday 9.00am - 4.00pm
Saturday 9.00am - 1.00pm
We are looking for any good quality goods donations for our SPCA Opshop and any volunteers who are willing to help out! If you have any sellable goods you would like to donate, or if you are interested in volunteering, please visit our Opshop during these opening hours.
Animal Care Information
For information about caring for your pet, such as settling in tips, checklists, or introducing your pet to other furry family members click here.
If you are hoping for some advice on rehoming your pet, click here.
Lost and Found Pets
If you have lost a pet, please click here for more information.
If you believe you have found a lost pet, please click here for more information
Because the majority of our income comes from public donations, bequests and our own fundraising initiatives, support from people like you mean the world to us. There are two ways you can help us help animals:
- A one off donation to Waikato SPCA
- Sign up as an Waikato SPCA Guardian. In the comment box, put 'I want to become a Waikato SPCA Guardian'.